SAFFORD – The First Baptist Church of Safford in conjunction with Landmark Protection will hold “Resisting Evil – church security and training seminar” on Jan. 23, starting at 6 p.m.
In the light of the recent church shooting in Texas, the First Baptist Church of Safford invites the public to come to take part in its workshop on church security.
“There are many things a church can do to protect churchgoers – shooting back it an absolute last resort,” said Pastor Ken Burk.
The workshop will be headed up by Landmark Insurance Associates, which insures several local church properties in Graham County.
Dinner consisting of pizza will be served at 6 p.m., and the seminar will begin at 6:30 p.m. The cost is $15 per person for advanced tickets and $20 per person at the door.
The workshop is the first step in proper church security and will include handouts for each person to start a conversation in their own churches or to improve what they might already be doing. Local law enforcement and emergency service members are welcome to participate as well as other existing church teams to create community-wide coordination to network knowledge and resources.
The workshop will:
- Teach how to assess exposure to violence.
- Teach how to set a guard to better handle a threat before it reaches the congregation.
- Teach principles of de-escalation.
- Teach about response options if a violent event occurs in your congregation.
- Learn from local law enforcement about what to expect from a violent event.
- Learn from paramedics about how to help people survive a violent event.
To register for the seminar click here.