Safford couple displaced after kitchen fire

Jon Johnson Photo/Gila Herald: Safford firefighters responded to a kitchen fire at a residence on 7th Street Friday night but the home was deemed a total loss. 

By Jon Johnson

jonjohnsonnews@gmail.com

SAFFORD – A Safford couple was displaced early Friday evening after oil on a stove ignited a fire that destroyed their home.

The volunteer Safford Fire Department was dispatched to 823 7th St. at around 7 p.m. regarding a house fire. The firefighters used an engine as Safford Police officers closed the street and doused the fire with water. However, the home was deemed totally destroyed.

“It’s a total loss,” said Assistant Fire Chief Patrick Anderson. “I’m not an insurance company, but more than three-quarters of the building burnt.”

Jon Johnson Photo/Gila Herald: The home was deemed a total loss.

Safford Electric employees arrived at the scene around 8 p.m. and cut off the power to the residence.

Anderson said the couple left some oil cooking on a stove and that was the cause of the fire. Nobody was injured, and the fire was confined to the single residence through the diligence of the Safford Fire Department.

Family members are taking donations, including clothing items. The family is looking for men’s shoe size 9.5, large or extra-large shirt and size 34 or 36 waist in pants and women’s shoe size 9, extra-large shirt and size 15 pants.

To make a donation contact Kirsten Lopez at 928-651-4060.

Please follow and like us: