Jon Johnson File Photo/Gila Herald
By Jon Johnson
SAFFORD – Safford officers responded to an unattended death Wednesday, June 12, which was possibly caused by a drug overdose.
Ray Anthony Castillo, 54, of Safford, was found deceased in his residence by an acquaintance.
Officers were dispatched to the residence on 12th Street at about 10:53 a.m. and the acquaintance informed that Castillo was a heavy drug user.
Upon arrival, Castillo was found in a bedroom lying on his left side partially slumped over a chair. While walking through the residence to get to the bedroom, the officer reported seeing a glass meth smoking device and two uncapped syringes.
After Castillo was declared deceased and his body was removed by McDougal’s Caldwell Funeral Chapel & Gila Valley Crematory, a loaded syringe and other drug paraphernalia were discovered underneath the body.
The scene was handed over to Safford investigators and a next of kin notification was later made.