Man tries to burn bees, ends up burning down trailer

Jon Johnson File Photo/Gila Herald: The Safford Fire Department responded to a fully engulfed mobile home fire early Sunday morning.

By Jon Johnson

GRAHAM COUNTY – A man who said he was attempting to burn bees using a can of WD-40 and a lighter accidentally burned down a single-wide mobile home on Sunday. 

According to a report from the Graham County Sheriff’s Office, first responders were dispatched at about 5:33 a.m. to a structure fire on S. Cheyenne Drive.

Upon contact, the man said he was trying to burn some bees when he accidentally caught the trailer on fire.  

The trailer was fully engulfed upon arrival and was a complete loss, however, there were no injuries reported. The Safford Fire Department extinguished the fire and made sure it didn’t spread. The man advised the trailer was meant for destruction. 

However, the trailer belonged to a person other than the man who started the fire. The owner was then contacted by police, and he advised he was aware and that there was nothing of value inside.