Contributed Photo: Alfred “Fred” Barquin is running for the Thatcher Town Council.
This is the third installment of the Gila Herald’s candidate series for the council races for Safford, Thatcher, and Pima.
Opening the series is the town of Thatcher, which has six candidates vying for three council seats up for election. The candidates include incumbents Ryan Rapier, Heston Welker, and Jenny Howard, with newcomers Brandon Homer, Mike McEuen, and Alfred Barquin looking to make the cut. Each candidate was given the opportunity to provide their own editorial and picture. This third installment of the Thatcher series features candidate Alfred Barquin.
Thatcher Town Council – Alfred “Fred” Barquin
My name is Alfred Barquin. I am known by most as “Fred”. I am a candidate for this upcoming 2022 Thatcher Town Council election.
My hopes are that I may be given an opportunity to serve every individual within the Town of Thatcher as your Town Councilman. I am very active within the community and have had the pleasure of serving in many capacities. My platform is based on my extensive public service experience professionally and community-related:
· CASA Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate. The Graham County Superior court assigns me Juvenile Dependency cases. I serve as the children’s voice while working with the Department of Child Safety and the Graham County Probation Department.
· I hold an Arizona Department of Education Substitute Teaching Certificate. I have taught at Thatcher, Safford, and Pima schools
· Currently the President of Mt. Graham Golf Association. We proudly assist with academic scholarships for youths attending colleges and universities. In addition, we support local Veterans’ and National Veterans’ academic scholarship programs.
· Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice. Worked as a patrol officer and eventually as Police Chief.
· Intensive Supervision Juvenile and Adult Probation Officer.
· Management and Supervision of child and family services programs.
· Human Resources Generalist II and Director of Security at Freeport-McMoRan Inc., Safford Operations.
· Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Management, La Salle University.
· Lean Six Sigma Certification, Villanova, University.
· Graduate of Phoenix Regional Police Academy.
· Graduate of Phoenix Fire Fighters Academy.