Fire consumes manufactured home in Pima

Jon Johnson Photo/Gila Herald: A Pima firefighter douses a car. The house was a complete loss but firefighters kept the blaze from spreading to adjacent neighbors.

By Jon Johnson

PIMA – The volunteer firefighters from the Pima and Thatcher fire departments were rousted from their Sunday afternoons at about 3:16 p.m. and quickly responded to a manufactured home on fire in Pima. 

The fire consumed a residence at the southwest corner of the intersection of 300 West and 1200 South and severely damaged at least one UTV and car in the home’s carport. However, the diligent action of the firefighters kept the blaze from spreading to adjacent neighbors even in blustery conditions. 

Jon Johnson Photo/Gila Herald: Firefighters work to make sure the blaze is completely doused.

According to a Pima Police officer on the scene, the resident advised he was outside feeding his chickens when he noticed his house was on fire. According to Pima Fire Chief Scott Howell, nobody was inside the residence at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported. 

Jon Johnson Photo/Gila Herald: A firefighter drags out a burned piece of furniture.

Chief Howell advised that one firefighter was transported to Mt. Graham Regional Medical Center to treat a heat-related issue. The temperature eclipsed the century mark of 100 degrees in Pima, and that was expounded by the heavy turnouts and fire. 

Jon Johnson Photo/Gila Herald: Vehicles in a carport were also damaged.

At this early juncture, the cause and origin of the fire are yet to be determined. As of 4:30 p.m., Pima and Thatcher firefighters were mopping up the area, dragging out burned items, and making sure the fire was completely doused.