Jon Johnson File Photo/Gila Herald
Op-Ed By Jeanette Aston/Executive Director Mt. Graham Safe House
SAFFORD – As October approaches, we wanted to remind you that it’s Domestic Violence Awareness Month—an important time for us to come together to raise awareness about the critical issue of domestic violence and show our support for those affected by it. Here at Mt Graham Safe House, we are dedicated to providing crucial services and resources to victims of domestic violence, and we invite you to join us in this important mission.
Domestic violence is a pervasive issue nationally as well as within our own community. Coming out of the pandemic, there was an 8% increase in domestic violence incidents nationally. According to recent statistics, Arizona ranks 5th highest in the US for domestic violence rates, with 42.6% of women and 33.4% of men in the state experiencing this. These numbers underscore the urgency of our mission and the need for continued support.
Our Services and Resources for Victims:
That being said, it’s our mission to provide compassionate, caring, and confidential assistance to those who have been impacted by domestic or sexual violence. We offer a range of support services, including:
- Advocacy: Our dedicated team provides both mobile and in-house advocacy to ensure survivors have the support they need.
- Court Escorts: We accompany victims to court proceedings, offering emotional support during a challenging time.
- Lay Legal Services: Our legal experts provide guidance and support throughout the legal process.
- Emergency and Transitional Housing: We provide a safe haven for those seeking refuge from dangerous situations.
- Essential Supplies: From clothing and food to school supplies and furniture, we offer vital resources to help rebuild lives.
- Local Transportation: We assist victims with transportation to appointments and services.
- Support Groups: Our self-help and parenting classes empower survivors to heal and grow.
- Skills Classes: We offer a variety of opportunities for job skill development to promote independence.
- Children’s Education Program: Through specialized programs, we provide education and support for children exposed to domestic violence.
- MGSH Battered Immigrant Women Coordinator: Our coordinator collaborates with local agencies to provide training to address the unique challenges faced by immigrant women, with other services offered on a case-by-case basis.
- Tailored Support: We provide individualized assistance based on specific needs.
- Join Us in the Walmart Roundup Program
In honor of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, we are excited to share that we’re participating in the Walmart Roundup Program. This initiative allows Walmart shoppers to make a meaningful contribution by rounding up their purchases to the nearest dollar at checkout and choosing Mt. Graham Safe House as the beneficiary. All proceeds will be directed to helping us offer essential services and create a safe, more supportive environment for survivors. It’s a small change that can make a big difference, so we hope you’ll participate!
As always, thank you for your ongoing support in raising awareness about domestic violence and helping us make a positive impact on the lives of survivors. Together, we can create lasting change.
– Jeanette Aston/Executive Director Mt. Graham Safe House