By Callie Walters/EAC
THATCHER – The Department of Music at Eastern Arizona College is pleased to announce its preparations for this year’s production of Handel’s Messiah. The 88th annual performance of this winter tradition will take place Sunday, Dec. 10, 2023, at 7 p.m., in the Fine Arts Auditorium. The performance will combine the community and alumni singers with students from the A Cappella Choir and Resonus, EAC’s tenor-bass choir. If you have your own Messiah score, you are welcome to use it and bring it to rehearsals.
Auditions for solo roles will occur at the end of our rehearsal on Tuesday, Nov. 14. Organizers would like to showcase as many interested soloists as possible from both the college and the community for this event.
Choir rehearsals are open to anyone who wishes to join. They will begin this Oct. 17 and continue each week until the performance, as indicated by the schedule below:
- Tuesday, Oct. 17, from 7 – 8:30 p.m. in the EAC Choir Room
- Tuesday, Oct. 24, from 7 – 8:30 p.m. in the EAC Choir Room
- This is also the day of the Safford High School Choir concert. Please support them and see their concert in the David M. Player Center, then join us for the last part of the rehearsal if you are able.
- Tuesday, Nov. 7, from 7 – 8:30 p.m. in the EAC Choir Room
- Tuesday, Nov. 14, from 7 – 8:30 p.m. in the EAC Choir Room
- Solo auditions after rehearsal on this date.
- Tuesday, Nov. 21, from 7: – 8:30 p.m. in the EAC Choir Room
- Tuesday, Nov, 28, from 7 – 8:30 p.m. in the EAC Choir Room
- Thursday, Dec. 7, from 7 – 8:30 p.m. in the Fine Arts Auditorium (combined rehearsal with Orchestra)
- Saturday, Dec. 9, from 2 – 5 p.m. in the Fine Arts Auditorium (full technical rehearsal)
- Sunday, Dec. 10, at 6 p.m. (7 p.m. performance)
We will not hold rehearsals on the following dates:
- Tuesday, Oct. 31 (Halloween)
- Tuesday, Nov. 28 (Festival of Carols tech rehearsal)
- Tuesday, Dec. 6 (orchestra rehearsal)
Individuals with questions about rehearsals or the performance may contact Dr. Gideon Burrows, show conductor, at 928-428-8464.