Compost pile cited as cause of trailer fire in Fort Thomas area

By Jon Johnson

jonjohnsonnews@gmail.com

GRAHAM COUNTY – A compost pile was cited as the cause of a fire that burned down a single-wide mobile home in the Fort Thomas Fire Department District off U.S. Highway 70 on Saturday night. 

Police and fire were dispatched to the residence at about 9:49 p.m. regarding the fire. Upon arrival, both occupants – who are renters of the home – were outside but said they were not able to rescue their three cats. 

According to the male occupant, his wife woke him up when she smelled smoke and they both barely had time to get dressed and get out before the trailer became fully engulfed. 

The American Red Cross was contacted for assistance with temporary housing for the displaced couple. The trailer’s owner was also contacted and advised she didn’t have insurance on the trailer due to its low value. 

When questioned about how the fire may have started, the male occupant said he was making a compost pile inside an old hot tub next to the wooden walkway to the house and remembered putting burnt ashes inside. He said he believed that could have been the cause. 

The Fort Thomas Fire Department kept the blaze to the single structure but advised that it could still smoke for several days until it fully burns away.  

Please follow and like us: