Galaxy Home Care service provides companion care services to individuals who require basic socialization, safety, and well-being. Simple things like doing some grocery shopping or going to the doctor can look like a burden for our potential clients.
Our center strives to get to know our client’s unique stories and personalities so that they can plan activities that will be stimulating as well as enjoyable. Since we customize our approach for every single client we additionally offer further services:
- Full friendship and emotional support
- Communication and sharing
- Helping clients keeping up to date
- Accompanying clients to recreational and/or social events
- Writing or typing letters/correspondence
- Organizing and reading mail
- Teaching/performing meal planning and preparation
- Performing light housekeeping
- Accompanying clients on walks
- Reminding the client to take medication
- Reminding clients to start or finish their meals
Key components of companion care
Companion care is believed to be a unique non-medical form of long-term care that meets the needs of the elderly with the practice of emotional support and friendship, as well as some easy practical everyday activities.
Companion care is popular among the elderly who prefer to age at their own place with comfort and reminiscence of their previous life rather than moving to a special medical institution. Most importantly because in their own home they have got a choice to remain independent.
In addition, companion care services cherish the element of friendship since friendship is one of the most important and valuable things for people of all ages and walks of life. Unfortunately, over the course of time, it gets more complicated to stay connected with people due to innumerable reasons. On top of that, physical and mental changes which are rather natural traits of aging impede communication in general.
Therefore, the idea of companion care is that nobody should ever feel loneliness and isolation under no circumstances.
Overall, apart from empowering friendship and compassion, companion care can provide numerous services which were specifically designed to help seniors live comfortably and safely:
- Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) – a companion provides physical support for the senior, assisting them with sitting and standing, walking around, or lying down.
- Aid with bathing, grooming, and hygiene – many older adults find it more difficult to take care of themselves without a tad of help. A companion provides assistance when it’s needed, without any judgment.
- Transportation services – a senior companion offers rides to doctor’s check-ups, social events, religious services, you name it. For seniors who may not be able to drive on their own, having reliable transportation can be both empowering and convenient because they continue connecting with their community while being supported at every step of the way.
- Help with housekeeping and laundry – a companion can offer light housekeeping and laundry services so that the senior can always reside in an environment that is comfortable, clean, and safe.
- Assistance with shopping, preparing, and serving meals – statistically speaking, many older adults face challenges with said things. For instance, a senior companion helps at every step, from menu planning to grocery shopping, to meal preparation. Besides, they can dine alongside the seniors, hence, mealtimes become a moment to relax, share stories, and enjoy the pleasant company.
- Medication and exercise reminders – senior companionship is a type of non-medical care, during which a companion keeps an eye on the elderly person, and checks the patient’s medicine and exercise regimens. Additionally, a companion can also provide support and encouragement with physical exercise, to help motivate the elderly to remain active in a safe and healthy way.
Ways to search for a companion
Companion care services make a huge difference for patients who require constant companionship, mental stimulation, and friendship. Companion services keep the elderly more engaged with the world around them.
However, the question arises of how one should search and find the companion care service which would suit their needs. In most areas there are a couple of resources that can be of big help:
- Local senior center
- Recommendations from family members, friends, co-workers, etc.
- Private care providers
- Home care agencies
- Word of mouth
Many people do receive recommendations to hire a friend or an acquaintance who comes highly qualified. It might be the choice, however, it would be better to turn to a professional establishment where a more experienced, certified companion could be assigned to look after your loved ones. Most importantly, if the latter fails to fulfill their duties they can be held accountable. The majority of home care agencies do their best in verifying their employees, hiring only trained staff and those who are willing to gain additional experience if needed. In all agencies prices are different and it must be discussed before hiring a caregiver.
If on a tight budget, looking for a volunteer companion care provider through a church would be also an option. Sure, volunteers may not be able to provide all types of services, but they can provide respite care and be an important part of the elderly’s life.
Key questions for a potential companion
Once the agency and the caregiver are chosen one must not be shy about asking all necessary questions so that you can truly rely on this company:
- Does your agency offer home health care as well?
- How is the caregiver supervised?
- What type of background checks and verification could the agency perform?
- How will a client care plan be developed in the long run?
- Will my loved one have the same caregiver all the time?
- Are there extra fees for holidays and weekends?
- How long does the agency retain its caregivers, on average?
- What special certifications do your caregivers have?
A respectful and representative agency should answer all mentioned questions without any hesitation. If they are not able to provide such information then consider opting for another agency.
Be aware that your loved one is insecure and uncomfortable with the arrangements or the services which this company provides that the whole cooperation will be unsuccessful. Remember that the most paramount thing is to make your loved one feel loved, confident and secure in the affliction.