12-year-old girl accidentally sets face on fire

Girl was attempting to “spit fire”

By Jon Johnson

jonjohnsonnews@gmail.com

GRAHAM COUNTY – A 12-year-old girl was flown to the Arizona Burn Center at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix on Saturday, after accidentally setting her face on fire.

According to a Graham County Sheriff’s Office report, the youth spat rubbing alcohol at a lighter in an attempt to “spit fire” and ended up burning her face and forearms. The incident took place at her residence on E. Nelson Place, east of Safford.

The youth ran into a shower afterward and then called her parents. The girl’s father called 911 at about 1:02 p.m., and then rushed home. Paramedics arrived at the residence and transported the youth to the Mt. Graham Regional Medical Center.

At the hospital, the youth advised that she had been pouring the rubbing alcohol on the ground and lighting it on fire when she decided to fill her mouth with it and spit at a lighter she was holding. When doing so, the rubbing alcohol caught fire, coating her face and forearms.

The girl’s step-mother advised that when they arrived home the bottle of rubbing alcohol was still on the front porch and was on fire.

After an initial evaluation, the girl was flown by helicopter to the burn center for additional treatment.    

Please follow and like us: